Comprehensive Epilepsy Center
Epliepsy patients have many common concerns, which include disabling medication side effects, driving, pregnancy, uncontrolled seizures, exercise and many other issues—and these issues are best addressed by a comprehensive center experienced in caring for epilepsy patients and open to alternative solutions. At Lenox Hill Hospital, we opened one such center to bring better care to our epileptic patients and their loved ones—the Lenox Hill Comprehensive Epilepsy Center—where we strive not only for accurate diagnosis and prompt, effective treatment, but also for improved quality of life for our patients.
The center offers the latest diagnostic and therapeutic options for patients suffering from seizure disorders in new and comfortable surroundings on the premises of Lenox Hill Hospital. It includes a four-bed, state-of-the-art epilepsy monitoring unit (EMU) staffed 24 hours a day, seven days a week by dedicated observation personnel, including epilepsy-trained doctors, nurses, neuropsychologists and a team of compassionate, certified video electroencephalogram (EEG) technologists. The EMU enables us to offer the safest and most advanced treatments for epilepsy.
Our highly trained epilepsy specialists offer treatments and services for the following conditions:
- Newly diagnosed seizures/epilepsy
- Unexplained falls or loss of consciousness
- Spells, transient events or neurologic symptoms or dysfunction, including:
- Language difficulty
- Sensory disturbance (numbness/tingling)
- Seizures related to brain tumors
We also help patients with management of and withdrawal from anti-epileptic drugs (AEDs).
- New patient visits
- Follow-up visits
- Consultation visits
- Routine EEGs
- Sleep deprived EEGs
- Ambulatory EEG monitoring
- Inpatient video EEG monitoring during medication changes, refractory epilepsy or for initial diagnosis and classification of epilepsy
- Presurgical epilepsy evaluations
- Consultations in numerous specialties, including physical therapy, neuropsychology, psychiatry, cardiology and neurosurgery
Award-winning epilepsy care
Lenox Hill Hospital has been recognized as a Level 4 Epilepsy Center, the highest rating by the National Association of Epilepsy Centers (NAEC). Level 4 centers provide complex and intensive neurodiagnostic monitoring, in addition to extensive medical, neuropsychological and psychosocial treatment options. Fourth-level centers also offer comprehensive evaluations for epilepsy and a broad range of surgical procedures to treat the condition.